Welcome To Ashville
Ashville is a village in Pickaway County, Ohio. Located about 20 miles south of Columbus Ohio. The population was 4,097 at the 2010 census In 1812 two distilleries were built near Ashville and were owned by William and Richard Staige (Stage). The land that is now Ashville was at that time primarily the property of Richard Staige. After many years he sold his distillery to Mahlon Ashbrook, who did a large business with his brother Absolom. He also built a grist mill on Walnut Creek about 1845 and owned a large store that was run by his sister Idy and her husband Daniel Kellerman. Kellerman was the first postmaster in Ashbrook (later Ashville). The Ashbrook's enterprises failed in 1855. From that time, until the construction of the Scioto Valley Railroad through Ashville and the advent of a depot in 1876, business was slow. Ashville was incorporated in 1882, with the first mayor being W. R. Julian.
A historical museum, Ohio's Small Town Museum, is operated in the community.The museum, established in 1975, claims to be home to America's oldest working traffic light, which directed traffic in downtown Ashville until the 1970s. This signal was designed by local resident Teddy Boor.
Ohio's oldest surviving 17-star U.S. flag representing Ohio's entry into the Union of States was found in an attic in a house on Long Street in Ashville.